Thursday, April 21, 2011

I just finished my kite for Good Friday.  For those of you that don't know what the heck I'm talking about, here in Bermuda it's a tradition (although a dying one) to make and fly kites on Good Friday.  The first kites flown had sticks of wood forming a cross, and then string and paper applied to make it flyable.  Over the years kite designs got more and more elaborate, so now there are several different styles, but the two predominant ones are round kites and headstick kites.  My siblings used frames from last year to make headstick kites, each about the size of an average human's torso.  I made a large five foot round kite with two headsticks, resulting in a kite that's about six feet from the top of the headsticks to the bottom.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get some pictures (or get someone to take pictures) of the kites being put up.

As a side note, my kite is going to be pulling so hard on the string I'll have to wear two pairs of gloves to just try to prevent myself from getting rope burn.  Last year I had heavy duty work gloves for a 4.5 foot kite...the string went right through that.


Is it...is it really me in a picture?  What is this world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment