Monday, April 18, 2011

Good news and bad news

The good news is that I was pleasantly surprised with a macro/portrait lens for my birthday.  I can't even begin to describe how amazing it is.  It's a little strange to get used to as it's 105 mm and that's it, but still can produce incredibly sharp images up close (limited depth of field, yes, but not as bad as the filters I was using).  What's nice is that at 105 mm I can stand a few feet from the subject and still be getting a close-up shot, which is perfect for small animals that get scared by things coming too close (i.e. lizards.  See below).

The bad news is I have a few specks of dust on my sensor.  Inside the camera.  They're nearly invisible on a lot of shots but when there's a sky in the background the show up like red paint on a white shirt.  It doesn't help that the majority of the specks are in the upper half where the sky usually is.  I'll be bringing it to a Nikon place in Montreal when I go there on Easter (piano lessons...long story...) and picking it up two weeks later when we go back for, yes, more piano lessons.  Fortunately the specks are pretty small so I can generally edit them out (as I've done with two of them below...the third couldn't be taken out for obvious reasons...if you spot it...[no pun intended]).

1 comment: